Monday, August 29, 2005

currently reading...

roadside religion: in search of the sacred, the strange, and the substance of faith, by timothy beal

faith requires one to go further than trust allows. this is true of religious faith as much as it is of the kind of faith required of us to be in relationship with other people. faith requires self-imperiling vulnerability. in faith, i open myself to another, to otherness, even to the wholly other. i expose myself, lay myself bare, express desire, show wounds. in this vulnerable expression of lack, fear, need, brokenness, i open myself to the unexpected -- to healing, transformation, a word of grace. i leap, arms wide open, teary-eyed face and soft belly exposed, into an unknown possibility, without assurance that my leap will land me safely on solid ground. faith requires vulnerability, desperate vulnerability.

highly recommended.

No comments: