Monday, January 16, 2006

you're the reason god made oklahoma...

until i was in the fifth grade, we lived on the nipper place - a section of land where we farmed alfalfa, burned our trash, rode our bikes down a long dirt road, and chased skunks out from under our porch. the nipper place was eighteen miles from town.

farm kids unite!

anyway, after a lightning strike blew out our TV, we never replaced it. instead, we turned on the radio. back in the day, KGNC in amarillo played 70s and 80s country (you know, country music of the past decade...). the sounds of the oak ridge boys, ronnie milsap, the highwaymen, and dolly parton were my elementary school soundtrack.

fast forward twenty years...

two encounters this week with harry's country club have taken me back to those days when my age was measured in single digits.

fortuitously, when i was in houston this fall, lauren introduced me to her favorite radio station - country legends 97.1. as i was reminiscing my favorite country hits of the 60s, 70s, and 80s last week, (and recovering from my mandrell sisters shock), i remembered lauren's radio station. i promptly located them online and ever since, country hits of the 60s, 70s and 80s have been filling the air in my dining room-slash-office.

a few of my favorites:
deeper than the holler - randy travis
y'all come back saloon - oak ridge boys
who's cheatin' who? - charly mcclain
lousiana saturday night - mel mcdaniel
good hearted woman - waylon/willie
you never even called me by my name - david allen coe
king of the road - roger miller (who, by the way, grew up just down route 66 from my grandparents)

i'm sure, at some point, i'll move back in to listening to my iTunes, but for now, this sure hits the spot.

2 comments:

Rufus said...

I can understand. Thanks to my dad playing that stuff every Sunday afternoon, I have to sing along every time something like "Gonna be a heartache tonight" comes on the radio.

Anonymous said...

online! how exciting. by the way i found an old country station on my last trip to chillicothe, not as good as the one in houston, but not bad for north central texas. it sure beat KQ106.