Monday, March 17, 2008

homemade...

this article appeared in yesterday's new york times.

leaving behind the trucker hat
young urbanites, learning that dirt can also be soil, are using their Carhartts as originally intended.

for a while now, i've been frustrated. i'm frustrated that other people get to decide what goes into my meat, onto my vegetables, into my water, etc., etc. it's been years since my life was connected to the land in a meaningful way. this coming from a girl who learned how to drive on that red tractor over there!

so i had a lot of resonance for the farmers who were profiled in that NYT article. i am different from them in that i don't want to make my living at farming. but i am *thisclose* to moving to the country, getting myself a cow and some chickens, and planting a big ole garden.

since i'm only a generation and a half removed from the farm and grew up in a farming community, i have no romantic notions of what it means to grow your own food. it is dirty, stinky, long work. i'd have to learn how to do ALOT of stuff.

and yet, it seems totally doable. there are lots of questions that i don't have the answer to, and there's still stuff to do here before i'm ready to raise my barn.

but one of these days, i'm going to make my own butter. with my kitchenaid, of course.

2 comments:

Amy said...

i'll come visit your barn someday and we'll make a lovely meal with your super fresh ingredients, homemade bread and butter & I promise not to drop the dessert. :)

Katie Lady said...

Wow. You can join the other 'young folks' that have moved back to Wellington. Most are Cami's age, but still....you wouldn't be alone! :)