Friday, April 04, 2008

fill in the blank...

when i was in college and found myself in a particularly boring lecture (i'm looking at you, vertebrate biology), i had this little game that i would play to pass the e-v-e-r-l-a-s-t-i-n-g time.

it went like this: i would attempt to list, from memory, all of the states of the united states. and if the lecture were especially long, i would also endeavor to include their capitals. and this would all be written with my left hand.

(you never know when you might need it).

so, you can see why i stayed up until 1:30 this morning playing the games on this website. it's listmaking heaven!!

it's amazing what your brain does to you when faced with a page full of blanks and a timer. for example, it forgets the number 'eleven' in spanish. or the book of lamentations. or mansfield park as a jane austen novel. or aluminum.

also, i'd like to know what it says about me that i came closer to naming all of the major league baseball teams (missed three, including the mets - see above statement about brain freeze) than i did the presidents of the US. i got all of the 20th century ones back as far as woodrow wilson, but still, the period from thomas jefferson to wilson was sparsely populated, with the notable exception of (whew!) abraham lincoln. james van buren, please accept my apologies.

so, if you have some time to kill, and like dorky listmaking games, you are set.

and these dorky listmaking games? they're why you want me on your team in trivial pursuit, or in the cash cab.

2 comments:

Katie Lady said...

you are an evil, evil person for getting me hooked on this. EVIL I say!

texanatheart said...

I often comment I would want you and Asher in the Cash Cab with me, then I would be assured to leave with money!