Monday, November 05, 2007

getting a head start...

i have had it. i can no longer abide by the sheer number of paper/plastic bags that i myself partake of on a weekly basis. plastic bags are produced by a petroleum based process, used once, and even if i take them to the grocery store for recycle, i'm not guaranteed that they actually are reduced and reused. paper bags are somewhat better (i collect my recycling in paper bags), but starting today, my answer to the age old question of "paper or plastic" will be neither.

i am, at this moment, placing my order for four reusable grocery bags, made of recycled plastic. in addition, i am ordering two ultra-compact bags that i can keep in my purse, for random errand running. (note: i fully realize the irony of the fact that i am ordering bags to be delivered via UPS in order to reduce my ecological footprint...)

i am going to keep a running tally of the number of times per month i forget to BMOB (bring my own bag). i'll let you know on december 1st how many bags i accumulated over the course of november. of course, my goal number is zero, but we'll see how well i do here at the beginning.

if you're so inclined, i encourage you to join me in this endeavor. mindfulness is a good thing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was going to get you something like this for Christmas!!!
-Cami

kristi said...

so i found your blog...again. i had misplaced the link. guess it's not that hard: "laciscott." :) we are going to order some of these to use as well. we keep cloth bags in the car, and i am ashamed to say that i always forget to take them insde with me. hopefully the new ones will inspire me to use them--they have flowers on them!